Grumpy Old Journo is in high spirits again. If you read the last post, you'll have detected some despair as I contemplated the likely need to restore basic software.
Checking through Windows' Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs" feature, I confirmed that a freshly downloaded version of OpenOffice had not installed property. But then I found it needed only the press of a button to fix it. Pressed "Repair", and Windows reconfigured it and installed it correctly.
A few minor glitches remain, such as occasional hiccups while closing the computer down, but hopefully they'll diminish with a more conscientious approach to maintenance.
Come back soon. I should have a new post up within a day or two.